Crowdy and Colliford Reservoir, on the west side of the moor have fishing and leisure/sport activities managed by the South West Lakes Trust.
The area around Crowdy Resevoir and Davidstow woods are designated a 'Site of Special Scientific Interest', particularly noted for the very wide species of birds that are to be seen here.
Davidstow Airfield (Disused)
Well, not entirely disused this being the home base for enthusiasts of microlight flying.
The airfield was built by the Air Ministry for RAF Coastal Command and used during the second world war by the US 8th Air Force, by RAF Polish and Canadian Squadrons and of course the RAF.
For further information visit http://www.davidstowmemorialmuseum.co.uk/
The area is frequently lost in heavy mist and would have prevented or hampered flights on many occasions with the result that military operations ceased shortly after the war.
For a short time in the early 1950's, Davidstowe Airfield again achieved prominence as a prime location for British Motor Sport.
Nearby is Davidstow Creamery, the producers of the award winning Davidstow Cheddar Cheese.
A small village by the River Inney noted for its Chapel and ancient Holy Well
The church is of Norman origins with mediaeval and fifteenth century additions, a full restoration was undertaken in 1848. In a field opposite the church is the holy 'Jordan Well' used for divination, and until comparatively recently, for baptism.
The church at Altarnun with its high tower, is known as 'The Cathedral of the Moor'. Bench ends in the church are carved with local scenes and signed with the names of the sixteenth century craftsmen who made them. Close by is the holy well of St Nonna. Neville Northey Burnard was born in Altarnun in 1818, a noted sculptor of his time whose work includes the statue to Richard Lander, the explorer, in Truro.
Situated just south of Launceston off the main A30 is the hamlet of Trewint, famed for its connection with John Wesley, the Methodist preacher. John Wesley made his home here in the cottage of Digory and Elizabeth Isbell in 1744. Rooms and a chapel were built to accommodate the preachers who came with him to spread the word of the Methodist teachings to Cornwall. Now open to the public in the summer months.
A Geogian slate hung building with cobbled court yard that houses various museums as well as being a public house. The Inn was relatively unknown until made famous by Daphne Du Maurier's novel "Jamaica Inn". The building dominates the tiny hamlet of Bolventor, which is situated near the centre of the moor, and now bypassed by the busy A30 main road carrying traffic to the south of the county.
Pages: [<< Prev] 1 2 3 [Next >>]