Crowdy and Colliford Reservoir, on the west side of the moor have fishing and leisure/sport activities managed by the South West Lakes Trust.
The area around Crowdy Resevoir and Davidstow woods are designated a 'Site of Special Scientific Interest', particularly noted for the very wide species of birds that are to be seen here.
Davidstow Airfield (Disused)
Well, not entirely disused this being the home base for enthusiasts of microlight flying.
The airfield was built by the Air Ministry for RAF Coastal Command and used during the second world war by the US 8th Air Force, by RAF Polish and Canadian Squadrons and of course the RAF.
For further information visit www.rafdavidstowmoor.org.
The area is frequently lost in heavy mist and would have prevented or hampered flights on many occasions with the result that military operations ceased shortly after the war.
For a short time in the early 1950's, Davidstowe Airfield again achieved prominence as a prime location for British Motor Sport.
Nearby is Davidstow Creamery, the producers of the award winning Davidstow Cheddar Cheese.
A small village by the River Inney noted for its Chapel and ancient Holy Well
The church is of Norman origins with mediaeval and fifteenth century additions, a full restoration was undertaken in 1848. In a field opposite the church is the holy 'Jordan Well' used for divination, and until comparatively recently, for baptism.
The church at Altarnun with its high tower, is known as 'The Cathedral of the Moor'. Bench ends in the church are carved with local scenes and signed with the names of the sixteenth century craftsmen who made them. Close by is the holy well of St Nonna. Neville Northey Burnard was born in Altarnun in 1818, a noted sculptor of his time whose work includes the statue to Richard Lander, the explorer, in Truro.
Situated just south of Launceston off the main A30 is the hamlet of Trewint, famed for its connection with John Wesley, the Methodist preacher. John Wesley made his home here in the cottage of Digory and Elizabeth Isbell in 1744. Rooms and a chapel were built to accommodate the preachers who came with him to spread the word of the Methodist teachings to Cornwall. Now open to the public in the summer months.
A Geogian slate hung building with cobbled court yard that houses various museums as well as being a public house. The Inn was relatively unknown until made famous by Daphne Du Maurier's novel "Jamaica Inn". The building dominates the tiny hamlet of Bolventor, which is situated near the centre of the moor, and now bypassed by the busy A30 main road carrying traffic to the south of the county.
A quiet, natural, brooding lake, with no visible source of supply, where it is reputed the legendary "Excalibur", sword of King Arthur was thrown by Sir Bedevere after Arthur's defeat by his wicked nephew Mordred. Folk lore also has this as a bottomless lake, which the ghost of the infamous John Tregeagle was forced to empty with a leaky limpet shell as punishment for the terrible life he had lead on earth. Whatever the truth may be, there is evidence of very early occupation within the vicinity of the lake, shaped stone tools have been found and dated at around 2000BC.
Click for other Arthurian locations on Bodmin Moor.
A few houses, a pottery, and, as the name suggests a bridge just off the B3266 Camelford to Bodmin Road. Wenford was the terminus of the Bodmin - Wadbridge Railway, opened in 1834, and used to carry primarily China Clay, and also Granite from the De Lank Quarry to Wadebridgefor onward shipment. The line closed in 1967 and now forms part of the Camel Trail. The Wenford section continued with the transport of China Clay until its closure in 1983.
One of the few villages in Cornwall with a traditional village green, more usually associated with rural villages in the Heart of England. A Norman Church with later additions and a skilled restoration in the 19th Century, much of the medieaval woodwork remains including the barrel roof.
Whilst in the Blisland area, seek directions to the Jubilee Rock, a giant 'carved' volcanic rock, perhaps the oldest on the moor, being some ten foot high and nearly twenty-five feet across. Lieutenant John Rogers and his men rested here on the 50th anniversary of King George III's coronation on the 25th October 1810. After taking refreshment, the stone was carved with various coats of arms and insignia to commemorate the day.
click to enlarge
Once known as Simonward, after Simon Ward the brewer to King Arthur's Court! The church was originally Norman, the building to be seen today is mainly 15th Church, restored in Victorian times and has a tower some 750 ft above sea level said to be the highest in Cornwall. Old clapper bridge over the De Lank River.
A little out of the geographic area we are dealing with, being accessed from the B3254 Launceston to Liskeard road. However, it is included here as it is high on the list of places to visit for the avid Bodmin Moor explorer. Spend a day discovering the ancient stones, the Hurlers (men turned to stone when caught playing the Cornish game of hurling on a Sunday) the Cheesewring (an incredible natural formation of almost circular rocks balancing one on top of another), the Longstone and Rillaton Barrow ( the gold cup found here is now in the British Museum) in a landscape dotted with the ruins of old engine houses, the remnants of Cornwall's mining past.
Pages: [<< Prev] 1 2 3
Pages: [<< Prev] 1 2 3 [Next >>]