The Welsh missionary, St Branoc, founded a religious settlement here in the 6th Century. The present church is believed to have been built on the same site. It is mainly 13th Century and has particularly fine carved bench ends which were crafted in the 16th Century.
Braunton, one of the largest villages in England, is a somewhat uneasy mix of new and old buildings and developments, but offers an excellent variety of shops and services. An excellent example of mediaevall open field cultivation is to be seen at "Braunton Great Field" which is divided into strips over a 350 acre area.
Braunton Burrows is a well-known Nature Reserve of over 1000 acres, which attracts many visitors, and comprises one of the largest areas of windswept sand dunes in England. The sand is trapped in place by large clumps of Marram Grass. The burrows are a favourite location for study by botanists, naturalists and ornithologists.